Last Midwife Visit

A Day in the Life


Today marked the end of my postpartum care and baby Rory’s newborn care with our fabulous midwives at Gumnut Blossom. At our last visit we said goodbye for now to Melanie Brindle, who attended Rory’s birth, and this appointment we gave some last snuggles to Louisa Wales, who was with us when Edie was born. We also said good luck to midwifery student Hollie, since her clinical exams are coming up soon and she will become a licensed midwife at the end of her program! I am so excited for her,  and simply can’t say enough about the loving, quality care and attention we received from all the women at Gumnut Blossom Midwifery. I also can’t wait to hear how it goes as they launch the Salmonberry Clinic and found the new birth center over the course of this year.

So, the news from the appointment: I am basically completely healed and everything on my end looks great, and Rory is growing so quickly everything looks great on his side too. The one issue we discussed is a pretty simple fix: Rory is tongue tied, like Edie and Daddy were, but his is having some impact on his breastfeeding. He clicks and smacks a fair amount while nursing, and still hasn’t been able to consolidate his feeds much since he swallows quite a bit of air and fills up his belly. Fortunately that all hasn’t resulted in full on colic, but his digestion has been a bit more sensitive and I wondered if it was connected.

I have kind of regretted the way we ended up handling Edie’s tongue tie, so I was glad to get some referrals from Louisa to have his tongue released as a simple in-office procedure. If we handle it pretty soon, it’s not a big deal at all.

Edie’s tongue tie looked pretty significant but didn’t affect her nursing so I didn’t plan to take care of it until she started speaking. It definitely looked like it would impact her speech; her tongue was visibly cleft by the tension of her frenulum, making a shape like the top of a heart. It was kind of super cute, and I won’t lie, I missed it. Anyway, she started talking at ten months, which turns out to be the worst time to preform a frenectomy. She was too big and wiggly, and too small and confused to do it in office, at least according to the ENT we were referred to at Mary Bridge. So, like a dork, I let the doctor talk me into putting my ten month old under general anesthesia for a routine office procedure. I now wish I had got a second opinion, and I suspect the surgeon was just too comfortable with more invasive surgical techniques, and maybe it felt spooky to work with awake babies – or inconvenient.

All’s well that ends well, I suppose, but I wish I had weighed the risks differently, and I don’t intend to let the insurance and hospital systems handle that choice for me this time. I’m kind of surprised how aggravated it made me feel to think about that again. Yay postpartum hormones. So, that said, I was delighted to leave the midwives with a better action plan and some vetted referrals.

It was weird to say goodbye today, especially since working with Louisa was literally the first parenting decision Kevin and I ever made. But it’s not forever: I’m already looking forward to the baby reunion picnic this summer!


Okay, now you tell me a story.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s